There’s a proven sequence of steps you can follow to guarantee your success when you’re starting a business online.
These are the following steps that you can take today to start and grow a successful business:
Find a need and fill it
Write content that sells
Design & build an easy-to-view website
Use search to drive traffic to your website
Establish yourself as a authority – be yourself
Follow up with your customers and subscribers through email marketing
Increase your income through back-end sales and upselling
If you’re a newbie or seasoned entrepreneur, you can benefit from this process in learning how to start a business online.
Find a need and fill it.
Most people who start an online business, make the mistake of looking for a product first, then a market second.
To boost your chances of success, start with a market first or a vein of gold.
A vein of gold is a very specific target market that not too many people have tapped into yet.
The trick is to find a group of people who are searching for a solution to a problem, and not finding many results.
The internet makes researching veins of gold very easy:
- Do keyword research to find keywords that a lot of people are searching for, but not many websites are competing for.
- You can visit online forums to see what questions people ask and what problems they’re trying to solve.
- Research your potential competitors by visiting their sites and taking note of what they’re doing to fill the demand.
Write content thats valuable.
If you’re looking to create a long term sustainable business, content is key for many reasons:
- It builds your marketing muscle
- It builds your authority & value
- Allows you to attract a potential customer base who feels they know, like and trust you
People don’t buy products, they buy you
There’s a proven formula that takes visitors through a process from the moment they arrive to the moment they make a purchase with you:
- Create a compelling headline (use Headline Analyzer).
- Describe the problem your solution solves.
- Establish your credibility as a solver of this problem.
- Add testimonials from people who have used your product.
- Talk about the product and how it benefits the user.
- Make an offer.
- Make a strong guarantee.
- Create urgency.
- Ask for the sale.
Throughout your content, you need to focus on how your solution is uniquely able to solve people’s problems or make their lives better.
Think like a customer and ask “What’s in it for me?”
Design and build a website.
Once you’ve identified your target market, have a solution to their problem, and you’ve got your selling process, now you’re ready for your web design.
Keeping it simple will help.
You have less than five seconds to grab someone’s attention, otherwise they will leave your website and you’ll never see them again.
Important tips to remember:
- Choose a easy to look at theme. Mobile optimised helps. White background.
- Make your navigation clear and simple, and the same on every page.
- Use images, audio or video to personalise your site and enhance your message.
- Add a opt-in landing page & give value so you can collect e-mail addresses.
- Your website is your online storefront, so make it customer-friendly.
Use Bing, Yahoo or Google to drive targeted traffic to your site.
Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising is the easiest way to drive traffic to your brand new website.
It has two advantages over waiting for the traffic to come to you organically.
- PPC ads show up on the search pages immediately
- PPC ads allow you to test different keywords (Google Keyword Finder), as well as headlines, prices and selling approaches.
Not only do you get instant traffic, but you can also use PPC ad campaigns to discover & identify your most popular, highest-converting keywords. Then you can use the keywords throughout your website in your content and coding, which will greatly improve your rankings in organic search results.
Establish yourself as an authority.
Everyone uses the internet to find information about their interests like; How to Improve my Golf Game or How to improve my Sales Conversions.
By publishing valuable information & getting it published on other websites, you’ll see more traffic and better search engine rankings.
The secret is to always include a few links back to your website.
- Give away valuable content for free. Create articles, shoot video, use Jing to show people your screen and educate them on what you’re learning. Then distribute the content through Social Media or article directories. I use Macromark.
- Make sure you have “share” links on all content on your website.
- Become an active member in forums and social networking websites where your target market hangs out.
You’ll find it much easier to reach new readers this way.
But even better, every website that posts your content will link back to yours.
Google loves these link backs from relevant sites and you will be rewarded in your rankings.
Use the power of email marketing to turn visitors into buyers
I can show you how to create an opt-in list, when done, you willl have learnt the most valuable asset of your online business – List Building
Your customers and subscribers will give you permission to send them emails, which means:
You’re giving them something they’ve asked for.
You’re developing lifetime relationships with them.
The response is 100% measurable.
Email marketing is in most cases cheaper and more effective than print, TV or radio because it’s highly targeted.
Anyone who visits your website and opt in to your list is a hot lead.
And there’s no better tool than email to follow up with them, especially when its all automated.
This is where you create the time for yourself to play more golf, travel to places you’ve never been to before or spend more time with your family.
Increase income through back-end sales and upselling.
One of the most important internet marketing strategies is to develop each & everyone of your customer’s lifetime value.
At least a third of people who have purchased from you once will buy from you again if you follow up with them.
Closing that first sale is by far the most difficult part, and sometimes the most expensive.
To increase the customers lifetime value you can use back-end selling and upselling to get them to buy again:
Research complimentary products to your business’s products & sign up to their affiliate programs.
Offer related products on your “Thank You” page after they purchase.
If you reward your customers loyalty, they’ll become even more loyal & become raving fans.
The internet changes so fast from one year to the next.
Although the principles of how to start and grow a successful online business haven’t changed at all.
I’ve given you a blueprint, if you’re wanting to start a business online, stick to this sequence.
If you’ve been online awhile, do a quick review and see if there’s a step you’re neglecting, or never got around to doing in the first place.
You can’t go wrong with the basics.
You might be thinking now, thats great Chris, but how do I actually do what you’re saying…